Sunday, August 15, 2010

Birth plan

lET ME KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT i SHOULD ADD OR SOMETHING YOU LIKED THAT YOU DID THAT i DONT HAVE. KIN DOF LONG SORRY!i WILL BE 36 WEEKS THIS WEEK AND WANT TO BE READY FOR ANYTHING!

*Main Priority is for the health and well-being of myself (Rebecca-Mother) and Baby. Any changes to birth plan need to be consulted with us first.

Before Labor begins
As long as the baby and I are healthy, I would like to have no time restrictions on the length of my pregnancy.
I trust that my practitioner will seek out my opinion concerning all of the issues directly affecting my birth before deviating from my plan.
If I go past my due date and the baby and I are fine, I prefer to go into labor naturally rather than be induced.
I prefer minimal internal vaginal exams or at my request only.
If induction becomes necessary, I would like to try natural induction techniques first (with the guidance of my practitioner.
Environment
Upon arrival at the hospital, I prefer to have my partner with me at all times.
*Please, no residents or students attending my birth.
*I prefer only my Spouse Scott Gathercoal present during delivery.
During early stage labor it is okay for Becky Glista or my other children to be present with consent.
I prefer to give birth in a private room.
I would like a Birthing ball, Birthing tub/pool/shower, available to use while laboring.
I would like to have dimmed lights.
I would like for people entering the room to speak softly.
I would like to wear my own clothes during labor and delivery.
I would like to play music.
I would like to have my birth photographed.
I would like to have my birth filmed/videotaped.
Pain Relief
*Please only offer pain medications if I ask for them.
After medical guidance for pain relief, I would appreciate some private time with my partner to discuss which pain management technique or medication I would like to use.
Ultimately, I want to be able to walk around and move as I wish while in labor.
Please always keep my door closed during (or...while I am in) labor.
Monitoring
Intermittently monitored to allow for as much mobility as possible
Second Stage Labor
As long as the baby and I are healthy, I prefer to have no time limits on pushing.
If pushing for more than several hours, I am open to medical intervention in 2nd stage labor.
episiotomy
I prefer to have no episiotomy and risk tearing (unless I'm having a medical emergency)
If I need an episiotomy, I prefer a pressure episiotomy.
If possible, please allow the shoulders and body of my baby to be born spontaneously, on their own.


The Delivery

*I would like to view the birth using a mirror.
*I would like to touch my baby's head as it crowns.
I prefer to have the lights dimmed for delivery or, if it is daylight, to access only natural light
It's important to me to push instinctively. I do not want to be told how or when to push. Unless I request help
*As long as my baby is healthy, I would like my baby placed immediately skin-to-skin on my abdomen with a warm blanket over it.

C-SECTION IF NECESSARY
My partner is to be present at all times during the c-section.
Ideally, I would like to remain conscious during the procedure.
I would like the baby to be shown to me immediately after it's born.
I prefer to have a hand free to touch the baby.
We would like to photograph or film the operation as the baby comes out.
RECOVERY
If my baby is healthy, I would like to hold my baby and nurse it immediately in recovery.
Please discuss my post-operative pain medication options with me before or immediately following the procedure.
THIRD STAGE OF LABOR
I would prefer for the placenta to be born spontaneously without the use of pitocin, and/or controlled traction on the umbilical cord if possible.
Please allow my partner to cut the umbilical cord.
I would like to delay routine pitocin after the placenta is born unless there are any signs of hemorrhaging

NEWBORN PROCEDURES
If the baby has any problems, I would like my partner to be present with the baby at all times, if possible.
I would like all newborn routine procedures to be performed in my presence
I would like my baby to have eye drops administered immediately after birth.
I would like to delay the administration of vitamin K up to 1 hour after birth, after breastfeeding and bonding, unless medically necessary.
Immunize the baby according to normal procedures.
Please allow scott(spouse) to bathe our baby after we have had time to bond.
I would like him circumcised
Routine PKU Testing after 24 hours
My baby is to be exclusively breastfed
It is okay for baby to be offered a pacifier after first feeding.
I would like baby to stay with me at all times when possible, or unless I ask you to take him/her to the nursery.
If my baby's health is in jeopardy, I would like
To be transported with my baby if possible or my spouse to go.

3 comments:

Trisha said...

I think you've covered things well. I don't know what you decided for alternate positions, and maybe I missed it, but if you want to do squats or other positions, you may want to put that in.

I am getting so excited for you!

CANDACE said...

I think you have everything covered! So excited for you & your family! Can't wait to hear that he/she has arrived. <3

LoGunns said...

Becca! I am so excited to hear the news! I think you have everything covered really well. I can't think of anything to add. Good luck!